From: wraeth <wraeth@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gnome3 stable] Not as bad as I expected
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:55:01
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 14/12/13 12:10, walt wrote:
5 > I've been preparing for gnome3 for many months by running it in a
6 > virtualbox gentoo-guest machine. I missed a very important gnome3 feature
7 > by doing it that way :(
8 >
9 > The gnome-shell desktop has a 'gestures-based' feature, which exposes the
10 > favorites menu if you move the mouse pointer *very* quickly to the left
11 > upper corner of the screen. Who knew?
12 >
13 > Well, I didn't know until yesterday because virtualbox allows the mouse
14 > pointer to slide right off of the guest window onto my real desktop without
15 > notifying the guest machine, apparently.
16 >
17 > Anyway, the active-left-upper-corner feature saves me one annoying extra
18 > mouse-click when launching the apps I use all day long. That one extra
19 > mouse-click was a major gnome3 "bug" for me, but now it's just a virtual
20 > bug :)
21 >
22 > For us old gnome2 farts who don't know where to begin with gnome3, I'd
23 > suggest installing two gnome-shell extensions that may save you many hours
24 > of bewilderment:
25 >
26 > First, the "settings center" extension, which exposes several important
27 > sub-menus that are otherwise nearly impossible to find.
28 >
29 > Second, the "system-monitor" extension, which replaces the multiload
30 > gnome-panel applet that I can't live without. The gnome extension website
31 > offers several 'system-monitor' applets, but the one I'm now using is the
32 > one written by 'darkxst'. So happy :)
33 >
34 > I strongly suggest emerging the 'alacarte' and 'gnome-tweak-tool' packages
35 > from gnome-extra. They are not installed by default when emerging 'gnome',
36 > but I couldn't use gnome without them.
37 >
38 > Happy to answer any gnome3 questions if I can.
43 Just for reference, I don't think the hot-corner issue a bug but a result of
44 how it operates.
45
46 If i'm not mistaken, the hot corner has to be activated by the mouse cursor
47 actually hitting the corner. With the typical way the virtual machine works,
48 with the mouse not actually 'entering' the environment, it's almost impossible
49 to hit the corner properly as it transitions seamlessly between the guest and
50 the host.
51
52 Two ways to address this are to use the virtual machine in fullscreen mode
53 (meaning that the corner really is the corner) or to have the virtual machine
54 fully capture the mouse (requiring it to be released by use of the 'host' key
55 (generally Right-CTRL).
56
57 If you can, give it a try and let me know if it works :)
58
59 - --
60 wraeth