From: Haim Ashkenazi <haim@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java nightmare
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:19:25
1 On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 22:01 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > java hates me.
3 >
4 > root@jmaa ~ $ revdep-rebuild -p
5 >
6 > Checking reverse dependencies...
7 > Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by any package update,
8 > will be recompiled.
9 >
10 > Collecting system binaries and libraries... done.
11 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.1_files)
12 >
13 > Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH... done.
14 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.2_ldpath)
15 >
16 > Checking dynamic linking consistency...
17 > broken /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so
18 > (requires libasound.so.2)
19 > done.
20 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.3_rebuild)
21 >
22 > Assigning files to ebuilds... done.
23 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.4_ebuilds)
24 >
25 > Evaluating package order... done.
26 > (/root/.revdep-rebuild.5_order)
27 >
28 > All prepared. Starting rebuild...
29 > emerge --oneshot --nodeps -p
30 > =dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02
31 >
32 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
33 >
34 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
35 > [ebuild R ] dev-java/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02
36 > Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and
37 > re-run revdep-rebuild.
38 >
39 > I already reemerged dev-java/blackdown-jdk, which is the only java
40 > installed, and didn't forget to env-update and source /etc/profile.
41 > Running revdep-rebuild is useless, as a second revdep-rebuild -p will
42 > still give the same error message.
43 >
44 > And why should something named
45 > /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02/jre/lib/i386/libjsoundalsa.so exist? I don't
46 > have the "alsa" USE flag set, for the excelent reason that this is an
47 > office workstation with no sound equipment whatsoever.
48 > Could it be that somehow the ebuild is ignoring this point?
49 > I unset "browserplugin" before emerging, just in case this was pulling
50 > sound support. Still, "mozilla" was set; the emerge says that the former
51 > USE variable is the latter renamed...
52 >
53 > What to do? Can I safely ignore the revdep-rebuild messages?
54 I think you can safely ignore that (unless you're running java
55 applications that use sound/alsa). the java packages are binary, that
56 means that you don't compile it according to your use flags, you install
57 the "whole package", so some libraries (like libalsasound.so) will
58 complain if you don't have alsa support. I'm having this problem with
59 opera and libXm but I just ignore it.
60
61 btw, is there anyway to tell revdep-rebuild to ignore a package? it's
62 really not comfortable to run revdep-rebuild -p and then manually
63 re-install the packages that complain (because I don't want it to
64 re-install opera every time).
65
66 Bye
67 --