From: Matt Richards <matt@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 device initiated services
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:10:51
1 Nelson, David (ED, PAR&D) wrote:
2 >> -----Original Message-----
3 >> From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby
4 >> [mailto:mihamina.rakotomandimby@××××××××××××××××.fr]
5 >> Sent: 03 January 2007 10:04
6 >> To: Gentoo mailing list
7 >> Subject: [gentoo-user] net.eth0 device initiated services
10 >> Hi,
11 >> I have /etc/init.d/net.eth0.
12 >> I dont want it to be launch at boot, but I dont want to
13 >> delete it either
14 >> because it eases some things when I want to bring eth0 up.
15 >>
16 >> My problem is although i "del" it from the boot process with
17 >> rc-update,
18 >> net.eth0 is attempted to be brought up by some other tool.
19 >>
20 >> When no cable is plugged, it slows as hell the boot process.
21 >>
22 >> The message is "device initiated services: net.eth0".
23 >> Then bringing up attempt comes.
24 >> who the hell is trying to bring it up?
25 >>
26 >> The answer is here:
27 >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2520311
28 >>
29 >> /etc/conf.d/rc
30 >>
31 >> - RC_PLUG_SERVICES=""
32 >> + RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*"
33 >>
34 >> --
35 >> gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
40 > I tend to set the eth0 dhcpcd timeout at ~5 seconds. The DHCP server I
41 > usually use (the gentoo based server under my desk!) always responds
42 > within 5 seconds. When I'm out and about and using/"borrowing" a
43 > wireless connection it means that it only slows the boot process by 5
44 > seconds and doesnt require me to manually enable or disable eth0.
45 >
46 > David
47 >
48 > Note: These views are my own, advice is provided with no guarantee of
49 > success. I do not represent anyone else in any emails I send to this
50 > list.
53 it might be a nice idea to look into how knoppix backgrounds the dhcp
54 process and implement that into Gentoo's init,
55 i think i did get annoyed with the dhcp process taking ages a few years
56 back and just put a '&' at the end of the dhcp line, i cant remember if
57 this worked or not tho.
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list