From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} which fs on 1.8TB partition
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:32:46
1 On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 171005 christos kotsis wrote:
3 >> I just noticed that ReiserFS has significant performance
4 >> over ext3, 4 when dealing with small files.
5 >
6 > I've long relied on ReiserFS for everything except /boot
7 > & have never had any problems with my files or drives.
8 > I have many small files + a few big PDFs -- perhaps c 20 MB ea --
9 > & the big ones simply stay where I put them, so no changes to handle.
12 Unless your needs are fairly specialized (in which case you probably
13 wouldn't be looking for advice on this list), I'd probably stick with
14 the more mainstream filesystems.
15
16 I doubt reiserfs will eat your data, but it has been generally falling
17 out of use.
18
19 IMO if your goal isn't to experiment with alternate filesystems, there
20 are really only a couple of mainstream choices out there for a
21 general-purpose workstation filesystem:
22
23 1. Ext4: This should just be your default if you don't want to care
24 about your filesystem. It is ubiquitous for a reason. It won't eat
25 your data, and everybody knows what to expect from it. If your
26 filesystem is fairly small and being used for a root, or otherwise has
27 a lot of small files, then make sure to override the inode defaults.
28 Other than that it just works.
29
30 2. Xfs: If you absolutely have to mess with a filesystem (especially
31 for multimedia) this isn't a bad alternative. You won't be able to
32 shrink it, but for the most part it behaves a lot like ext4.
33
34 Zfs is starting to cross over into experimental territory, IMO, though
35 it generally is fairly stable. I care about data integrity, so it is
36 what I tend to run (well, aside from one btrfs filesystem I haven't
37 switched over). I had a SATA port misbehave and spread silent
38 corruption all over a disk, and zfs got me through it without anything
39 but some warning alerts/etc and a need to rebuild after I moved the
40 drive to another controller (and marked a big X over the port). If I
41 were using mdadm I'd have had to rebuild from backups at a cost of
42 hours of downtime (a fairly large array), and might have lost
43 recently-written data entirely as might have been in use for longer
44 before detecting the error, leaving me a dilemma of figuring out which
45 backup versions were good, with the answer being something older.
46 Even if I didn't have redundancy zfs (or btrfs) would have complained
47 loudly about the issue. I do use snapshots because they're cheap, but
48 rolling back is pretty rare.
49
50 Unless you have a very specialized need I wouldn't go messing with
51 block sizes or anything like that in any of these cases.
54 Rich