From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT?} which fs on 1.8TB partition
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 17:12:34
1 On 2017-10-06, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > 2. Xfs: If you absolutely have to mess with a filesystem (especially
4 > for multimedia) this isn't a bad alternative. You won't be able to
5 > shrink it, but for the most part it behaves a lot like ext4.
6
7 This was probably 10ish years ago, but I switched my multimedia
8 filesystems from ext* to xfs because deleting a large file (several
9 GB) on an ext filesystem would basically lock up my machine for tens
10 of seconds. The seemed to be a known problem in the MythTv world and
11 the standard solution was to use xfs instead. Sure enough, deleting
12 large files on xfs didn't cause problems.
13
14 * It was probably ext3 back then, so it's possible none of this
15 applies to ext4.
18 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's OKAY -- I'm an
19 at INTELLECTUAL, too.
20 gmail.com