From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:04:10
1 I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
2 strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get is:
3
4 Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`
5
6 root (hd0,1)
7 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
8 kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
9 [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]
10
11 It then sits there. No error, no other messages. The hard drive light
12 stops, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys don't respond. If I press
13 the power button, it immediately turns off.
14
15 The laptop is a HP 8440p and I've installed amd64. I've followed the
16 install guide, and the hard drive has Windows, EXT2 /boot, swap, EXT3 /
17 on it. I've compiled EXT2, EXT3 and SATA AHCI into the kernel.
18
19 Does anyone have any idea what I've forgotten or missed? If you need
20 more info, let me know. Thanks for any help you can give.
21
22 Jake Moe