From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:39:40
1 Jake,
2
3 Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
6 > strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get is:
7 >
8 > Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`
9 >
10 > root (hd0,1)
11 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
12 > kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
13 > [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]
14 >
15 > It then sits there. No error, no other messages. The hard drive light
16 > stops, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys don't respond. If I press
17 > the power button, it immediately turns off.
18 >
19 > The laptop is a HP 8440p and I've installed amd64. I've followed the
20 > install guide, and the hard drive has Windows, EXT2 /boot, swap, EXT3 /
21 > on it. I've compiled EXT2, EXT3 and SATA AHCI into the kernel.
22 >
23 > Does anyone have any idea what I've forgotten or missed? If you need
24 > more info, let me know. Thanks for any help you can give.
25
26 I had a similar problem about 6 weeks or so ago. It turned out that the
27 hardware (a Dell Optiplex 320) and Grub were incompatible in some way.
28 I installed Lilo instead, and everything now works fine. So, try
29 searching on your specific hardware to see if this is a known problem.
30
31 Roger