From: Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 03:53:41
1 On 17/06/10 20:38, Roger Mason wrote:
2 > Jake,
3 >
4 > Jake Moe <jakesaddress@×××××.com> writes:
7 >> I've just completed a fresh Gentoo installation on a new laptop, and
8 >> strangely, after I choose the entry from the Grub screen, all I get is:
9 >>
10 >> Booting `Gentoo Linux 2.6.32-r7`
11 >>
12 >> root (hd0,1)
13 >> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
14 >> kernel /kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda4
15 >> [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size=0x1ab020]
16 >>
17 >> It then sits there. No error, no other messages. The hard drive light
18 >> stops, and the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys don't respond. If I press
19 >> the power button, it immediately turns off.
20 >>
21 >> The laptop is a HP 8440p and I've installed amd64. I've followed the
22 >> install guide, and the hard drive has Windows, EXT2 /boot, swap, EXT3 /
23 >> on it. I've compiled EXT2, EXT3 and SATA AHCI into the kernel.
24 >>
25 >> Does anyone have any idea what I've forgotten or missed? If you need
26 >> more info, let me know. Thanks for any help you can give.
27 >>
28 > I had a similar problem about 6 weeks or so ago. It turned out that the
29 > hardware (a Dell Optiplex 320) and Grub were incompatible in some way.
30 > I installed Lilo instead, and everything now works fine. So, try
31 > searching on your specific hardware to see if this is a known problem.
32 >
33 > Roger
36 I had tried to see if there was anything special about the hardware, but
37 couldn't find anything. I'm still of the opinion that it's something to
38 do with the kernel, but I've given up on amd64 (I'm not sure if I've had
39 an amd64 Gentoo PC before) and switched back to x86, and other than
40 forgetting SCSI disk support in the kernel for my SATA disk (which I
41 *always* do, why can't they make SCSI disk support a requirement for
42 SATA AHCI support?), the install went smoothly. The only other thing of
43 note is that I seem to need to use the unstable ndivia-drivers
44 (195.36.24), as the latest stable one (190.42-r3) produced flickering
45 garbage on my screen when I went into X.
46
47 Thanks for trying to those that did.
48
49 Jake Moe