From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrading from 2005 S1 to 2008.0?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:27:34
1 On 2009-03-10, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Douglas J Hunley wrote:
3 >> Is it possible to upgrade an existing 2005 S1 install to 2008.0? I gave it a
4 >> quick try and ran into multiple issues. Before I expend hrs trying to make it
5 >> work, does anyone know if it's an exercise in futility or not? Thx
6 >
7 > If it were me, I would save the world file, /rtc and /home and
8 > just reinstall. There are several updates that would be
9 > pretty extensive and tedious to say it lightly. I think in
10 > the long run, a reinstall would be much faster and easier.
11 >
12 > Giving a little more thought, maybe you should not even save much of
13 > /etc either. The make.conf file may be OK but I suspect there are huge
14 > changes to everything else too.
15
16 Save the old /etc somewhere. You might not be able to use most
17 of the files as is, but there are a lot of little pieces of
18 information in them that you'll need. Cutting/pasting them
19 into the new install is way easier than figuring everything out
20 again from scratch.
23 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Edwin Meese made me
24 at wear CORDOVANS!!
25 visi.com