From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:53:41
1 On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2017-08-30 18:28, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with
5 >> >> flash as the main storage will be back at the recycling station
6 >> >> (ideally) within a couple of years. This includes all the consumer
7 >> >> routers I've ever had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
8 >
9 >> Flash storage lasts far longer than that in practice. How often do you
10 >> upgrade a router?
11 >
12 > The "couple" was meant literally, i.e. typically 2 years until it
13 > breaks. I don't know for sure if it is the flash or something else.
14 > It's not a bad brand - I have had many different brands, nothing lasts
15 > much more than that. And I don't abuse them - in fact I pamper them :-)
18 I don't want to take this off on a tangent too far, but can you
19 describe how you're using them? I'm very interested in what might be
20 causing them to fail. It's probably not the flash. Reading it causes
21 virtually no wear and you can do this indefinitely until the charge on
22 the flash cells equalizes itself, which usually takes a hundred years
23 or so (similar to the time periods that electromigration takes to
24 visibly affect integrated circuits).