From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice Needed: Conexant HD-Audio noisy audio
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:10:02
1 On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Ignas Anikevicius
2 <anikevicius@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 15/05/12 17:52, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >> I have a strong expectation that part of what you're hearing is system
5 >> electrical noise.
6 >>
7 >> What happens when you set:
8 >>
9 >> * Master -> 100
10 >> * Headphone -> 100
11 >> * Everything else -> 0
12 >
13 > If I do not play anything while PCM is at 0 and Master and Headphone are
14 > at 100, then I do not hear anything. But if I start 'playing' something
15 > while still with PCM at 0 (no sound can be heard), then I start hearing
16 > irregular clipping sound.
17 >
18 > Is that what you expected?
19 >
20 > If I decrease the sound to a level where I stop hearing clipping, then I
21 > can barely hear the music. Although the same headphones play on my
22 > player fine.
23 >
24 > And It's a shame, that I indeed hear clipping. Are there any ways to
25 > increase the sound volume without increasing the mixer setting in ALSA?
26
27 There are going to be multiple sliders which affect your playback
28 volume. Without seeing a list of your sliders, I couldn't really guess
29 which, beyond 'Master', 'PCM' and 'Headphone'. There may be others; my
30 old Sound Blaster Live had a ton of internal signal processing
31 sliders, and anything that involves amplification presents that risk.
32
33 Each one of those will likely have a threshold where you'll risk
34 clipping if you go above it. I.e. if PCM and Headphone are at 50, but
35 Master is above $master_threshold, you may hear clipping. Likewise, if
36 Master and Headphone are at 50, but PCM is above $pcm_threshold, you
37 may hear clipping. Similarly, 'Headphone'...
38
39 There is probably a combination of settings which works best, and
40 sounds fine. The trouble, of course, is finding the maximum safe
41 threshold for each.
42
43 Me, I'm fortunate; my Intel-HDA-compatible cards all tend to say
44 things like "-5dB" or "+20dB" when I'm using the console Alsamixer,
45 and I've established that as long as they say "0dB", I get the best
46 signal I can get.
47
48 > Would a different sound card help?
49
50 Sure; you could use a card with more post-mixer amplification. Or a
51 card with little to no mixing options. Or an external amplifier.
52
53 > Is there any way I can solve the
54 > problem without buying new hardware?
55
56 You might try using something like PulseAudio, which may be doing
57 internal mixing in the floating point space before it maps back to
58 16-bit linear PCM. My experiences with PulseAudio have generally been
59 positive in terms of audio quality. The trickiest part is getting
60 applications to pipe their audio through it, followed by getting
61 direct access to the card's mixer settings if I need it. But
62 "pavucontrol" as a mixer control for PulseAudio works reasonably well
63 for the majority of circumstances.
66 > Thanks a lot for help,
67
68 np.
69
70 (Note: I CC'd this back to the main list, because somehow this one got
71 sent to me directly. Channeling communications through the main list
72 keeps the archives useful.)
75 :wq