From: Ignas Anikevicius <anikevicius@×××××.com>
To: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice Needed: Conexant HD-Audio noisy audio
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:31:05
1 On 15/05/12 20:08, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > There are going to be multiple sliders which affect your playback
3 > volume. Without seeing a list of your sliders, I couldn't really guess
4 > which, beyond 'Master', 'PCM' and 'Headphone'. There may be others; my
5 > old Sound Blaster Live had a ton of internal signal processing
6 > sliders, and anything that involves amplification presents that risk.
7
8 [...] (some useful stuff snipped :))
9
10 At the moment all the other sliders are at 0. So I do not know, maybe
11 some other sliders are doing this...
12
13 Also, ALSA can show the levels in dBs for my card... but I get sand even
14 when I'am at gain of ~ (-11,-14)dB on all three sliders (Master, PCM,
15 Headphone).
16
17 > You might try using something like PulseAudio, which may be doing
18 > internal mixing in the floating point space before it maps back to
19 > 16-bit linear PCM. My experiences with PulseAudio have generally been
20 > positive in terms of audio quality. The trickiest part is getting
21 > applications to pipe their audio through it, followed by getting
22 > direct access to the card's mixer settings if I need it. But
23 > "pavucontrol" as a mixer control for PulseAudio works reasonably well
24 > for the majority of circumstances.
25
26 I am using Pulse :)... The problem with I have that it changes my PCM
27 and Headphone levels without asking me... Therefore, if I change the
28 levels manually on alsamixer and then use Pavucontrol, it just changes
29 the PCM and headphone or speaker levels to max, which makes the sound
30 crappy. Otherwise I am quite a happy Pulse user. :)
31
32 Is there a way to set the limiting thresholds? Or maybe I am using two
33 things at the same (ALSA and Pulse) and they are clashing and,
34 therefore, I can not get good quality sound?
35
36 >> Thanks a lot for help,
37 >
38 > np.
39 >
40 > (Note: I CC'd this back to the main list, because somehow this one got
41 > sent to me directly. Channeling communications through the main list
42 > keeps the archives useful.)
43
44 I thought, that I have replied to both, list and you.. :) Well, thanks
45 for that. :)
46
47 Cheers,
48 I.