From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] going from systemd to udev
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 01:33:58
1 On Feb 4, 2014 7:28 PM, "Joseph" <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 02/04/14 18:38, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 >>>
8 >>> I'm using XFCE It all started to happen after I switched to systemd. So
9 >>> maybe on the weekend I'll try to switch one of the machine back to udev.
10 >>> I think all I need is to unmerge "systemd" and emerge "udev" without
11 >>> rebooting.
14 >> As others have said, udev *IS* systemd. It's the same code and
15 >> configuration [1].
16 >>
17 >> And if you don't reboot after uninstalling systemd (while having
18 >> booted with it), I don't think your system will stay stable for much
19 >> longer.
20 >>
21 >> I see that thunar depends on gvfs, which can use udisks or
22 >> gnome-disk-utility. Which one do you have? What does portage it says
23 >> when you do:
24 >>
25 >> emerge -pv gnome-base/gvfs
26 >>
27 >> If you have the gdu USE flag enabled, I recommend switching to udisks.
28 >> It's possible that it will fix everything, but I have never used Xfce,
29 >> so I'm not certain.
32 > Do I need to put flag: systemd in make.conf file: USE="...
33 > to enable it globally?
34
35 Supposedly, you should enable local flags per package in
36 /etc/portage/package.use, but many does put it on make.conf.
37
38 Either way, if you are using systemd, you *should* set the systemd USE flag
39 on everything, otherwise the package in question will try to use the
40 non-systemd implementation (if any), and that will (almost surely) fail
41 under systemd.
42
43 Regards.