From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Constraining X display resolutions
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 22:03:26
1 On Tuesday 27 April 2010 17:06:07 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 27 April 2010 00:18:19 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > > You haven't told us what kind of monitor that is,
4 >
5 > Because it isn't pertinent to what I asked.
6 >
7 > > but it sounds like it's a flatscreen. In that case you should definitely
8 > > run it on its native resolution, or else your display will ... strain
9 > > your eyes far more.
10 >
11 > It doesn't. I've always had blurred vision (myopia in one eye and
12 > astigmatism in the other, both fairly severe) and I'm better at
13 > resolving blurred images than picking detail out of small ones. I'm
14 > trying to reduce the neck-ache caused by straining forwards to see the
15 > screen.
16 >
17 > > However, Linux GUIs are very good at geometric upscaling, so I suggest
18 > > increasing font and icon sizes.
19 >
20 > I'll try that anyway; it may give me a better compromise. Thanks.
21
22 I've had the same problem on a high resolution (1920x1080), small size screen
23 (15.6"). The characters are tiny and anything else but native resolution
24 makes images and characters blurred. The solution was to increase the font
25 size on the terminals and KDE apps. However, I don't know how to make the
26 characters in the Firefox menus and body larger. Am I supposed to run
27 gconftool-2 with some esoteric options?
30 Regards,
31 Mick