From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] custom kernel with nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 11:03:33
1 On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM, Raffaele Belardi
2 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
3 > Time ago when I upgraded nvidia-drivers from 295 to 3xx series there was no
4 > way to start X, it would crash immediately with my custom built kernel.
5 > After many tests I switched to a kernel config taken from a live CD which
6 > worked (and still works) fine with the 3xx nvidia-drivers but pulls in a lot
7 > of stuff don't think I really need. I started to remove kernel options one
8 > by one to go back to a custom kernel but that is a painful road.
9 >
10 > Is there a minimal set of kernel options required to run the nvidia-driver
11 > documented somewhere? The gentoo wiki suggests to remove framebuffer, DRM,
12 > noveau but apparently that is not sufficient.
13 >
14 > The current graphic board is a GTX750-based, if it matters.
15 >
16 > thanks,
17 >
18 > raffaele
21 As far as generating a custom config file based on what modules are
22 loaded, you could try "make localmodconfig":
23 It's purpose is described here,
24 https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/plain/README?id=refs/tags/v4.9.9:
25
26 Create a config based on current config and loaded modules (lsmod).
27 Disables any module option that is not needed for the loaded modules.
28
29 To generate a custom config for a given architecture, "make defconfig"
30 might be a good way to start.
31 Create a ./.config file by using the default symbol values from either
32 arch/$ARCH/defconfig or arch/$ARCH/configs/${PLATFORM}_defconfig,
33 depending on the architecture.
34
35 I personally found the Gentoo wiki article that describes the initial
36 kernel configuration as well as which kernel options to set for my
37 nvidia card to be a good foundation to build upon.
38
39 Hope this makes sense.