From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:45:43
1 Am Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:43:40 -0700
2 schrieb Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>:
3
4 [...]
5 > I find it amazing, though, that even if I copy my old .config, it still
6 > takes me so much time to make sure all the settings are correct for a
7 > given machine. Hasn't anyone come up with a handy
8 > look-through-my-lspci-output-and-create-a-skeleton-kernel-config tool?
9 > Or does it already exist and we just call him "Pappy"?
10
11 Not really what you want, but somebody thought of something similar. Since
12 Linux 2.6.32 you can do:
13
14 make localmodconfig [1].
15
16 That will take the output of lsmod (so you need an already running kernel,
17 e.g., from a live CD) and remove all unnecessary modules from the existing
18 kernel .config.
19
20 [1]: see http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32, section 1.8.
21