From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : CPU : 22 nm vs 32 nm
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:50:51
1 On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 25.07.2012 22:14, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 >> Am Mittwoch, 25. Juli 2012, 16:05:29 schrieb Philip Webb:
4 >>> I've listed what's available at the local store,
5 >>> which I trust to stock reliable items, tho' I wouldn't ask their advice.
6 >>>
7 >>> All the AMD's are 32 nm , while the Intel recommended by one commenter
8 >>> -- Core i5-3570 4-Core Socket LGA1155, 3.4 Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, 22 nm --
9 >>> is 22 nm : it costs CAD 230 & they have 3 in stock,
10 >>> which suggests demand, but not the most popular ( 9 in stock).
11 >>>
12 >>> Isn't 22 nm going to be faster than 32 nm ?
13 >>
14 >> no
17 > Lower transistor size gives you two advantages: Lower current (->
18 > potentially lower power consumption and heat) and more transistors to do
19 > something. The practical effects depend on what the chip maker does with
20 > this.
21
22 I second this; the feature size limit of the process isn't really
23 something a consumer should care about at _all_. Its only real impact
24 is on what architectural options are open to the manufacturer, which
25 in turn drives how much they can get out of a performance and feature
26 balance.
27
28 What you really care about is what the manufacturer builds, not the
29 tools and materials they had available to them.
32 >>>
33 >>> In the same price range, AMD offers Bulldozer X8 FX-8150 (125W)
34 >>> 8-Core Socket AM3+, 3.6 GHz, 8Mb Cache, 32 nm ( CAD 220 , 2 in stock).
35 >>>
36 >>> How do you compare cores vs nm ?
37 >>
38 >> who cares?
41 > You cannot really compare this. If you can use more cores, e.g. because
42 > you have an embarrassingly parallel application, by all means, get it.
43 > Otherwise you should probably care more about single core performance.
44
45 I'll note that emerge -e @world with parallel emerge and parallel make
46 qualifies.
47
48 So does running a browser like Chromium which gives each tab its own process.
51 >>> How far is cache size important ( 6 vs 8 MB )?
52 >>
53 >> depends on the architecture.
56 > In short, for all three questions: Look at benchmarks and look at the
57 > TDP ratings if that is important to you.
58
59 Good points.
62 > nm numbers don't tell you anything that can be directly translated into
63 > performance or other qualities. They only allow educated guesses. If you
64 > really want to delve so deep into chip design, you could as well look at
65 > pipeline depths, cache associativity and such alike (not that you should).
66
67 Not that that isn't fun. ^^
72 :wq