From: Dan <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc slots
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:51:46
1 On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:29:15 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 first of all, let me mention there's a short defense of top posting ...
5 at the bottom ;)
6
7 have you tried emerge --unmerge =gcc-3.4.5 ? note that equal sign,
8 it's usually necessary to include that when specifying a version.
9
10 I also wanted to make sure you're following the gcc 3.x -> 4.x upgrade
11 guide online, because you'll need to, if you don't want a borked
12 system.
13
14 best of luck,
15
16 --dan.
17
18 > Hi All,
19 >
20 > I just upgraded to gcc-4.1.1. gcc-config -l shows that gcc-3.4.5 is
21 > still there:
22 >
23 > # gcc-config -l
24 > [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5
25 > [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardened
26 > [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednopie
27 > [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednopiessp
28 > [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5-hardenednossp
29 > [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.1 *
30 >
31 > When I try to remove gcc-3.4.5, it doesn't exist:
32 >
33 > # emerge -C -p -v gcc-3.4.5
34 >
35 > >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
36 >
37 > --- Couldn't find 'gcc-3.4.5' to unmerge.
38 >
39 > >>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge.
40 >
41 > If it doesn't exist, why is it listed? There's most likely a good
42 > explanation for this, but it's getting late and I must be too tired
43 > to understand it. Could you please care to explain?
44
45 A defense of 'top posting' -- Caution, off topic!!!
46
47 Whether the reply text goes before or after the message to which it
48 replies depends entirely on personal preferance. Some people choose to
49 run their email clients at full screen and/or on a large display, and
50 perhaps can see the top of the email and the bottom at the same time;
51 thus they can look over the original post and then read the response.
52 However, if one hasn't a big display or a fullscreen mail client (hey,
53 I have lots of windows up that I want to see/switch between!) having
55 each message to see the responses. Usually, if you're following a
56 thread closely, you'll already know the train of conversation, so all
57 the response-to quotations are just in the way. Even if you don't have
58 to scroll the text at all, you still have to wade through the question
59 to get to the answer. In time, as the response-to quotations get
60 longer and longer, much space is wasted by this section, and much
61 scrolltime is also wasted. Therefore, I conclude that although I
62 respect the opinions of those who choose to bottom-post, and agree with
63 the reasons it is nice, I also insist that there are also good reasons
64 to top-post, and that I think the only real solution is for us all to
65 live with each others preferences when we can't honor our own.
66
67 Friendily,
68 Dan.
69 --