From: Heiko Baums <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 05:19:43
1 Am 06.08.2015 um 04:23 schrieb Felix Miata:
2 > After reading
3 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Media#Minimal_installation_CD
4 > which does not link to it until after its first mention I spent considerable
5 > time on http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/gentoo/ trying to find one. The only iso
6 > files I managed to find are DVD size. When I reach the location that I think
7 > should list them,
8 > http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/gentoo/releases/x86/autobuilds/current-iso (aka
9 > www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo), I consistently get this instead:
10 >
11 > http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/images/bucket.jpg
12 > Sorry, we cannot find your kernels
13 >
14 > I really wanted to install by booting from an installed Linux anyway, but
15 > first command after extracting stage and chrooting, I got this:
16 >
17 > failed to run command '/bin/bash': Exec format error
18 >
19 > When I attempted to find the stage file to download in the first place, they
20 > all seemed to be arch-agnostic, so this is the one I tried (newest pre-Grub2):
21 >
22 > http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/releases/sh/autobuilds/20120323/sh4-unknown-linux-gnu/stage3-sh4-20120307.tar.bz2
23 >
24 > Kernel booted from is Debian Jessie's 3.16.0-4-amd64, on a Core2Duo E8400, so
25 > I'm confused why the apparent arch error message. ???
28 I get the Minimal Installation CD and the stage3 with one resp. two clicks.
29
30 Go to https://www.gentoo.org and click on "Downloads". There you are.
31
32 And if you do it from your link to the Gentoo Handbook:
33
34 Go to
35 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Media#Minimal_installation_CD
36
37 Read this:
38 "The default installation media that Gentoo Linux uses are the minimal
39 installation CDs, which host a bootable, very small Gentoo Linux
40 environment with the right tools to install Gentoo Linux from. The CD
41 images themselves can be downloaded from one of the many mirrors available.
42
43 On those mirrors, the minimal installation CDs can be found as follows:
44
45 Go to the releases/ directory
46 Select the right architecture, such as x86/
47 Select the autobuilds/ directory
48 Select the current-iso/ directory
49
50 Inside this location, the installation CD file is the file with the .iso
51 suffix. For instance, take a look at the following listing:"
52
53 Click the link behind the word "mirrors" in the second sentence and
54 follow the instructions you read before.
55
56 If there are no isos on the mirror you've chosen like kernel.org (which
57 is btw. not listed as an official Gentoo mirror anymore) read the file
58 latest-iso.txt in the directory mentioned above on that mirror or choose
59 another one.
60
61 Then follow the instructions on
62 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Stage and you get