From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 21:00:53
1 On 04/12/16 11:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 13:21:37 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
5 >> from kdm to sddm and it just works. It looks different but it works
6 >> fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
7 >> and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
8 >> different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
9 >> settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
10 >
11 > That's because kdm is dead. I found sddm a little flakey. On my laptop it
12 > works more or less as expected, but on my desktop, selecting reboot or
13 > power off from the desktop drops me back to sddm without rebooting. I'm
14 > nit sure if this is an issue with sddm or plasma, maybe I'll try slim
15 > instead.
19 SDDM was doing that to me too until I created a default config.
20
21 I don't really have any issues with SDDM itself, it seems to work.
22 Although when I'm at the login screen and I click the power button I was
23 expecting a menu to pop up asking whether I wanted to restart or
24 shutdown, and it proceeded to shut down on me... I rarely do this from
25 the login screen so not a huge issue for me.
26
27 I have noticed a couple weird things. I wanted to add a network "place"
28 in dolphin, and it didn't do it - but it added it to the K menu's
29 computer tab and now I can't figure out how to remove it from there.
30
31 Oh, I was messing around with panels again and accidently removed the
32 entire task bar again -_- but KDE popped up a nice big undo button for
33 me! That was kind of nice. Everytime I upgrade I always forget and
34 remove the whole panel and not the widget...
35
36 One other issue is Clementine's nifty tray icon is gone, replaced by
37 some weird kde5 generic thing. Anyone know how I can get the original
38 one back? I used it frequently as it had more than the
39 pause/forward/back that the generic kde one has.
40
41 Dan