From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 09:42:51
1 On Wednesday 20 May 2015 10:23:55 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 May 2015 10:16:09 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Which reminds me: can anyone here confirm whether grub-legacy can
4 > > handle GPT? I'm getting close to building my new system and I don't
5 > > want to change too many things at once. By which I mean that I'm going
6 > > to try btrfs (my fingers will learn how to type that one day), and I
7 > > might go for GPT if it's not going to cause a lot of trouble, but I
8 > > really don't want to have to wrestle with grub-2 at the same time.
9 > > Maybe later.
10 > >
11 > > So, GPT with legacy grub, anyone?
12 >
13 > It should do, as long as you create the BIOS Boot partition at the start
14 > of the drive. It shouldn't care what the BIOS is trying to load.
15
16 OK; I'll try it then. Thanks.
17
18 > But if it's a new system, doesn't it use UEFI? In which case, grubosaurus
19 > won't work but you can avoid GRUB2 by using Gummiboot, which is even simpler
20 > that GRUB<1.
21
22 No, it's only new SSDs, not the whole system, which is six years old. Does
23 that mean my choice is restricted to just the two versions of GRUB?
26 Rgds
27 Peter