From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:51:30
1 On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
2 > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:01:22 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
6 > >> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:53:04 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
7 > >>
8 > >> wrote:
9 > >> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:19:43 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
10 > >> >> But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
11 > >> >> dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems
12 > >> >> a bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
13 > >> >
14 > >> > That just shows that they are still partially dependent on the DE,
15 > >>
16 > >> KMail
17 > >>
18 > >> > also needs various KDE libraries. KDE was designed as a cohesive DE,
19 > >>
20 > >> not
21 > >>
22 > >> > just a bunch of applications with a common look and feel. KDE apps are
23 > >> > intended to be run on a KDE desktop, anything else is a nice bonus.
24 > >>
25 > >> Indeed, and it is a noble pursuit.
26 > >> But from a marketing aspect, it would make more sense to have things
27 > >> that
28 > >> aren't -vital- for the app, unlike kde-libs in this case, to be soft (is
29 > >> this the correct term?) dependencies.
30 > >> Both aspects could be satisfied by having symantic-desktop as an
31 > >> optional
32 > >> dep. It's not a vital function for kmail to be able to tag and index all
33 > >> the files on the computer (which is what the symantic-desktop does if I
34 > >> understand correctly), it's a nifty thing for KDE users, and soon
35 > >> probably
36 > >> Gnome users as well, but for anyone else, it's a nifty thing -if- they
37 > >> feel the need for it. Much like most other bits of software :-)
38 > >>
39 > >> In the end there isn't a right or wrong, but just a standpoint. Some
40 > >> don't
41 > >> mind the bloat (we can agree that it's bloat if you're just going to
42 > >> disable the function as soon as it's been installed, right?) and don't
43 > >> consider it to be the slightest bit akin to bloat, whilst to others it's
44 > >> an unnecessary feature forced on them (mainly thinking of the people not
45 > >> using kde, but also those kde-users that just disable it) and thus
46 > >> becomes
47 > >> bloat.
48 > >
49 > > and luckily for you, there are a lot of 'soft' dependencies. kmail does
50 > > not
51 > > force you to install konqueror. It does not force you to install plasma-
52 > > desktop or systemsettings. It does not force you to install the printing
53 > > manager ....
54 >
55 > But then the question isn't whether there are a number of soft
56 > dependencies, but in the case of semantic-desktop whether -it- is a soft
57 > dependency. Like previously stated, I don't use kmail, nor do I intend to
58 > (I at least think I mentioned it). This is just my take on the matter of
59 > whether it is truly necessary, or even a good idea to have
60 > symantic-desktop as a hard dependency.
61
62 yes it is a good idea. Because KDE is such a modular beast you can not just
63 install kmail, konqueror or kate. You always need a bit more for full
64 functionality. KDE strives to be a COMPLETE, networking, work and data sharing
65 aware desktop solution.
66
67 Semantic-Desktop is a huge part of it.
68
69 If you never used nepomuk, you don't even know what you are missing.
70
71 > And as stated, this is not in the light of a full blown KDE env, but
72 > mainly in considerations to when you're using another window manager.
73
74 you can use whatever WM you want in KDE. Isn't that nice.
75
76 > Be
77 > it icewm, jwm, openbox or whatever. Should something that is an integrated
78 > part of the KDE desktop environment be forced on those that don't use KDE?
79
80 what are you even talking about?
81
82 > Our opinions on this matter obviously differ, and for that simple reason I
83 > find it interesting to find out -why- you think it's okay that they're
84 > being forced. And simply stating that the devs' decided that it was how it
85 > was done, is pretty much as nonconstructive argument as "dbus is bad
86 > because it's new". I'd like to find out why you seem to disagree, so
87 > please. By all means, enlighten me :-) (I am asking for it after all ;))
88
89 no, I have the feeling that you are trolling.
90
91 But see above. KDE goals is more than just a wm with some apps. That niche is
92 filled by XFCE. And for being more than just a wm plus an asorted pile of apps,
93 you need a certain infrastructure shared by the whole environment.
94
95 KDE apps use PHONON, so they don't have to deal with the underlying sound
96 system.
97 KDE apps use SOLID, so they don't need to care about hardware, hot plugin,
98 etc.
99 KDE apps use dbus so they can share code and easily communicate.
100
101 KDE apps use NEPOMUK, so they don't need to fiddle with different databases and
102 concepts when working with information. And 'semanitic-desktop' is more than
103 just finding a certain picture, textfile, email or link quickly.
104
105 When you are displaying a html email, Kmail uses the khtml kpart. Why don't
106 you cry about that dependency? Who uses html mails anyway?
107
108 You might have missed the memo. But today information is more compley than
109 keeping a tidy tree of directories. And finding information is harder with
110 gigabytes of data than a couple of floppy disks.
111
112 Semantic-desktop can help you with that. A lot. Your calender tells you, that
113 there is a meeting tomorrow where SUBJECT A is on the agenda. A semantic
114 desktop aware environment can give you all files concerned with SUBJECT A. All
115 pictures, all texts, presentations, emails and bookmarks. in a split second.
116
117 http://nepomuk.kde.org/discover/user