From: Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:15:52
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:01:22 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
5 >> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:53:04 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
6 >>
7 >> wrote:
8 >> > On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:19:43 +0100, Zeerak Waseem wrote:
9 >> >> But I do find it silly, that the various applications that aren't
10 >> >> dependent of the DE, to require a dependency of the DE. It just seems
11 >> >> a bit backwards to me :-) I simply don't understand.
12 >> >
13 >> > That just shows that they are still partially dependent on the DE,
14 >> KMail
15 >> > also needs various KDE libraries. KDE was designed as a cohesive DE,
16 >> not
17 >> > just a bunch of applications with a common look and feel. KDE apps are
18 >> > intended to be run on a KDE desktop, anything else is a nice bonus.
19 >>
20 >> Indeed, and it is a noble pursuit.
21 >> But from a marketing aspect, it would make more sense to have things
22 >> that
23 >> aren't -vital- for the app, unlike kde-libs in this case, to be soft (is
24 >> this the correct term?) dependencies.
25 >> Both aspects could be satisfied by having symantic-desktop as an
26 >> optional
27 >> dep. It's not a vital function for kmail to be able to tag and index all
28 >> the files on the computer (which is what the symantic-desktop does if I
29 >> understand correctly), it's a nifty thing for KDE users, and soon
30 >> probably
31 >> Gnome users as well, but for anyone else, it's a nifty thing -if- they
32 >> feel the need for it. Much like most other bits of software :-)
33 >>
34 >> In the end there isn't a right or wrong, but just a standpoint. Some
35 >> don't
36 >> mind the bloat (we can agree that it's bloat if you're just going to
37 >> disable the function as soon as it's been installed, right?) and don't
38 >> consider it to be the slightest bit akin to bloat, whilst to others it's
39 >> an unnecessary feature forced on them (mainly thinking of the people not
40 >> using kde, but also those kde-users that just disable it) and thus
41 >> becomes
42 >> bloat.
43 >
44 > and luckily for you, there are a lot of 'soft' dependencies. kmail does
45 > not
46 > force you to install konqueror. It does not force you to install plasma-
47 > desktop or systemsettings. It does not force you to install the printing
48 > manager ....
51 But then the question isn't whether there are a number of soft
52 dependencies, but in the case of semantic-desktop whether -it- is a soft
53 dependency. Like previously stated, I don't use kmail, nor do I intend to
54 (I at least think I mentioned it). This is just my take on the matter of
55 whether it is truly necessary, or even a good idea to have
56 symantic-desktop as a hard dependency.
57 And as stated, this is not in the light of a full blown KDE env, but
58 mainly in considerations to when you're using another window manager. Be
59 it icewm, jwm, openbox or whatever. Should something that is an integrated
60 part of the KDE desktop environment be forced on those that don't use KDE?
61 Our opinions on this matter obviously differ, and for that simple reason I
62 find it interesting to find out -why- you think it's okay that they're
63 being forced. And simply stating that the devs' decided that it was how it
64 was done, is pretty much as nonconstructive argument as "dbus is bad
65 because it's new". I'd like to find out why you seem to disagree, so
66 please. By all means, enlighten me :-) (I am asking for it after all ;))
69 Zeerak