From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 16:18:26
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:57:57 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 18:47:11 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I read the news item and was confused. I read it again and was
9 >>>> even more confused. After the third time, I didn't see any point
10 >>>> in reading it again so I went to the link, hoping it would be
11 >>>> better. Well, not really. So, I just started messing with it
12 >>>> until I got a setting that worked. Hey, it's in there and it
13 >>>> works. Now the news item and the howto don't matter. lol
14 >
15 >>> The point of the news item is not to make it work now, it already
16 >>> does. The advice is there to help you get your system into a state
17 >>> where it won't stop working when the next stage of the switch
18 >>> occurs.
19 >> I get that but that didn't make much sense either. I ended up using
20 >> trial and error to get the setting correct since the news item and the
21 >> link wasn't much help. About all it did was let me know that there
22 >> was a change but as to helping understand that change, not much help
23 >> there if any.
24 > The news item says,
25 >
26 > If you have set LINGUAS in your make.conf, you most likely want to
27 > add its entries also to L10N. Note that while the common two letter
28 > language codes (like "de" or "fr") are identical, more complex
29 > entries have a different syntax because L10N now uses IETF language
30 > tags. (For example, "pt_BR" becomes "pt-BR" and "sr@latin" becomes
31 > "sr-Latn".)
32 >
33 > I can't tell from your posts what make.conf changes you actually made,
34 > if any. If you still need to make changes -- some packages are
35 > already using L10N now -- focus just on that one bit of the allegedly
36 > unclear news item and if it really is confusing ask about just that
37 > bit.
41 As I just mentioned to Neil just a moment ago. I followed some of the
42 discussion on -dev. I had a general idea of what the change was but the
43 news item just didn't make a lot of sense. So, I took what I recalled
44 from the -dev discussion and used trial and error to get it set
45 correctly in make.conf. I had mine working before the OP of this thread
46 asked about the news item. I'm not the only one who wasn't clear on
47 what the news item was saying and I followed it on -dev. I had a
48 general idea already. Someone who didn't follow -dev would likely be
49 clueless.
50
51 As it is, my make.conf is working here. I started out on this thread
52 helping the OP get his set up correctly. Why make someone else use
53 trial and error like I did when all I had to do was post what worked
54 here and see if that worked for them too? The OP was unsure about the
55 news item, as was I, and I posted to help him. Given his last reply, it
56 seems his is working now too. Hopefully if others can't figure out the
57 news item, they will find this thread and try some of the settings
58 mentioned here.
59
60 Dale
61