From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LINGUAS, L10N, and local-gen
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:59:34
1 On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:57:57 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 18:47:11 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> I read the news item and was confused. I read it again and was
8 > >> even more confused. After the third time, I didn't see any point
9 > >> in reading it again so I went to the link, hoping it would be
10 > >> better. Well, not really. So, I just started messing with it
11 > >> until I got a setting that worked. Hey, it's in there and it
12 > >> works. Now the news item and the howto don't matter. lol
13
14 > > The point of the news item is not to make it work now, it already
15 > > does. The advice is there to help you get your system into a state
16 > > where it won't stop working when the next stage of the switch
17 > > occurs.
18 >
19 > I get that but that didn't make much sense either. I ended up using
20 > trial and error to get the setting correct since the news item and the
21 > link wasn't much help. About all it did was let me know that there
22 > was a change but as to helping understand that change, not much help
23 > there if any.
24
25 The news item says,
26
27 If you have set LINGUAS in your make.conf, you most likely want to
28 add its entries also to L10N. Note that while the common two letter
29 language codes (like "de" or "fr") are identical, more complex
30 entries have a different syntax because L10N now uses IETF language
31 tags. (For example, "pt_BR" becomes "pt-BR" and "sr@latin" becomes
32 "sr-Latn".)
33
34 I can't tell from your posts what make.conf changes you actually made,
35 if any. If you still need to make changes -- some packages are
36 already using L10N now -- focus just on that one bit of the allegedly
37 unclear news item and if it really is confusing ask about just that
38 bit.