From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 02:48:57
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag 05 November 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
3 >
4 >> I guess that could be seen as a kind of spam. I hope not.
5 >>
6 >> Further, so far as googling this kind of help or info. There is so
7 >> damn much out there.. its too hard to tell what is good or even real.
8 >>
9 >> So here it is:
10 >>
11 >> I have a recently dead Intel P4 winxp box, I've got it completely
12 >> stipped dowm, mobo out etc. Its a mid tower antex box.. nice size and
13 >> fairly easy to work inside of. For me that is really important
14 >> because I spent my life working with big heavy stuff for 35 yrs.
15 >>
16 >> With it all in pieces already, I thought I might try building it
17 >> backup up with some more recent components..
18 >>
19 >> I thought maybe a mobo bundle would be a good starting place.
20 >>
21 >> Anyway, I need some help digging through all the balony on line about
22 >> the newer mobos.
23 >>
24 >> Here is an example of one possibility:
25 >> http://www.directron.com/fall-motherboard-combo-4.html
26 >>
27 >> I'm wondering if that really is a deal or just a fake come-on and the
28 >> price is like that all over.
29 >>
30 >> Is there anyone here who is willing to correspond with me privately
31 >> about this project? Maybe someone who can vouch for some of the more
32 >> recent equipment out there.
33 >>
34 >> Since gmane obfuscates the email address on From line here it is:
35 >>
36 >> Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
37 >>
38 >> I'd like to hear from someone who may know a bit about homebuilding a
39 >> computer.
43 > that bundle looks ok, but you will need a new psu.
44 > And with ok I mean the hardware, not the price.
45 >
46 > You might get away a lot cheaper buying the same parts seperately.
47 >
48 > Oh and as a cooler - a Scythe Shuriken
49 > fan2: 421 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 32
50 > temp2: +51.5°C
51 >
52 > is not a bad choice. Especially since the temp never hits 60°C.
56 [OT]
57 Why does everyone else have a CPU that is so much hotter than mine.
58 Mine has never been over 40C or about 100F and I run folding with my rig
59 in my bedroom. Even back when this rig was new and people had rigs
60 close to mine, I still ran cooler. I'm even air cooled. Water and
61 puters make me nervous.
62 [/OT]
63
64 I would use froogle.com to search for deals. Some combo deals can save
65 you money, some don't. You just have to add them up and compare. I
66 would check into newegg.com too. They have some good deals.
67
68 I do agree with the comments about power supplies tho. I would also not
69 buy some cheapo power supply either. Get a good name brand one that can
70 stand up or you will be looking for another combo. A weak power supply
71 can cause all kinds of issues.
72
73 I built my own to so best of luck.
74