From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Homebuilt Mobo bundles
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:58:05
1 On Donnerstag 05 November 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I guess that could be seen as a kind of spam. I hope not.
3 >
4 > Further, so far as googling this kind of help or info. There is so
5 > damn much out there.. its too hard to tell what is good or even real.
6 >
7 > So here it is:
8 >
9 > I have a recently dead Intel P4 winxp box, I've got it completely
10 > stipped dowm, mobo out etc. Its a mid tower antex box.. nice size and
11 > fairly easy to work inside of. For me that is really important
12 > because I spent my life working with big heavy stuff for 35 yrs.
13 >
14 > With it all in pieces already, I thought I might try building it
15 > backup up with some more recent components..
16 >
17 > I thought maybe a mobo bundle would be a good starting place.
18 >
19 > Anyway, I need some help digging through all the balony on line about
20 > the newer mobos.
21 >
22 > Here is an example of one possibility:
23 > http://www.directron.com/fall-motherboard-combo-4.html
24 >
25 > I'm wondering if that really is a deal or just a fake come-on and the
26 > price is like that all over.
27 >
28 > Is there anyone here who is willing to correspond with me privately
29 > about this project? Maybe someone who can vouch for some of the more
30 > recent equipment out there.
31 >
32 > Since gmane obfuscates the email address on From line here it is:
33 >
34 > Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
35 >
36 > I'd like to hear from someone who may know a bit about homebuilding a
37 > computer.
40 that bundle looks ok, but you will need a new psu.
41 And with ok I mean the hardware, not the price.
42
43 You might get away a lot cheaper buying the same parts seperately.
44
45 Oh and as a cooler - a Scythe Shuriken
46 fan2: 421 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 32
47 temp2: +51.5°C
48
49 is not a bad choice. Especially since the temp never hits 60°C.