From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do Debian's 2.6.18 problems exist in gentoo?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:14:14
1 On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:27:28 -0500
2 Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm in the process of installing gentoo now, in the hope of getting it to
5 > work more reliably (and more up-to-date) than Debian. Debian's 2.6.18-3
6 > kernel includes backported msync-optimising patches from 2.19 that don't
7 > work properly and have the effect of sometimes causing serious file-system
8 > damage. (see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401006 if
9 > you're curious about gory details).
10 >
11 > What I was wondering was whether a similar misfortune has befallen
12 > gentoo's 2.6.18 kernel, or whether gentoo's kernel developers have just
13 > left the 2.6.19 patches in 2.6.19.
14 >
15 > Maybe I'm being silly asking about this, but I have become paranoid about
16 > severe file system damage.
17 >
18 > -- hendrik
19
20 there are a number of kernels you can install in gentoo - see inside the directory /usr/portage/sys-kernel. You can also see what patches have been applied by looking at the ebuilds.
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list