From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pm-suspend replacement?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:24:33
1 Hello again, Gentoo.
2
3 On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 11:03:00 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 > On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 20:49:45 +0200, tastytea wrote:
5 > > On 2021-09-18 18:39+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
6
7 > > > Hello, Gentoo.
8
9 > > > I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
10 > > > state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
11 > > > the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
12 > > > would restore full functionality in a few seconds.
13
14 > > > I think I lost this program in the emerge --depclean I did a couple of
15 > > > months ago (the one that wanted to make my machine unbootable).
16
17 > > > Is there anything to take its place? In particular I want actively to
18 > > > put the machine into resting state (as opposed to it happening after a
19 > > > period of inactivity), and I would prefer to do this without having to
20 > > > start a GUI session.
21
22 > > > I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
23 > > > how to find it.
24
25 > > > Thanks for the help!
28 > > `loginctl suspend`[1] if you use sys-auth/elogind. `echo mem >
29 > > /sys/power/state`[2] if not.
30
31 > Thanks!
32
33 > Unfortunately, neither of them works. I tried s2ram too. It also
34 > doesn't work.
35
36 > What they all do is suspend the system, then immediately restore it,
37 > without the keyboard or mouse being touched.
38
39 > I'm sure the kernel isn't the problem: I tried it with three kernels
40 > going back to 5.4.97 and it failed on them all. pm-suspend worked on
41 > these. Similarly, I doubt my HW is the problem.
42
43 > At this stage, I think it's time to give up. I don't want to spend hours
44 > submitting bug reports and following up, or on endless web searches for
45 > solutions. The feature just isn't that important, convenient though it
46 > would be.
47
48 > Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it had
49 > some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages are
50 > lacking.
51
52 That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
53 enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
54 was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
55 sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been updated
56 in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?
57
58 That's another feature missing from portage - a systematic way of
59 discovering why a package has been removed.
60
61 > > [1] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind#loginctl>
62 > > [2] <https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html#basic-sysfs-interfaces-for-system-suspend-and-hibernation>
63 > > --