From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pm-suspend replacement?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 11:03:12
1 On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 20:49:45 +0200, tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2021-09-18 18:39+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > > Hello, Gentoo.
5
6 > > I used to have a utility pm-suspend which would suspend the current
7 > > state of the machine to RAM (or, maybe to the swap partition) and shut
8 > > the machine down to a resting state. A keypress or mouse movement
9 > > would restore full functionality in a few seconds.
10
11 > > I think I lost this program in the emerge --depclean I did a couple of
12 > > months ago (the one that wanted to make my machine unbootable).
13
14 > > Is there anything to take its place? In particular I want actively to
15 > > put the machine into resting state (as opposed to it happening after a
16 > > period of inactivity), and I would prefer to do this without having to
17 > > start a GUI session.
18
19 > > I feel there must be something like this in portage, I just don't know
20 > > how to find it.
21
22 > > Thanks for the help!
25 > `loginctl suspend`[1] if you use sys-auth/elogind. `echo mem >
26 > /sys/power/state`[2] if not.
27
28 Thanks!
29
30 Unfortunately, neither of them works. I tried s2ram too. It also
31 doesn't work.
32
33 What they all do is suspend the system, then immediately restore it,
34 without the keyboard or mouse being touched.
35
36 I'm sure the kernel isn't the problem: I tried it with three kernels
37 going back to 5.4.97 and it failed on them all. pm-suspend worked on
38 these. Similarly, I doubt my HW is the problem.
39
40 At this stage, I think it's time to give up. I don't want to spend hours
41 submitting bug reports and following up, or on endless web searches for
42 solutions. The feature just isn't that important, convenient though it
43 would be.
44
45 Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it had
46 some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages are
47 lacking.
48
49 > [1] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind#loginctl>
50 > [2] <https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.10/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html#basic-sysfs-interfaces-for-system-suspend-and-hibernation>