From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:11:10
1 Holly Bostick schrieb:
2 > Jason Ausmus schreef:
3 >>> -----Original Message----- From: Alexander Skwar
4 >>> [mailto:listen@×××××××××××××××.name] Sent: Sunday, November 20,
5 >>> 2005 3:48 AM To: gentoo-user@l.g.o Subject: Re:
6 >>> [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
7 >>>
8 >>> You're answer was to a different question.
11 >> Whose answer was to a different question?
14 >>> Ralph Slooten schrieb:
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >>>> gpg --gen-key
18 >>>
19 >>> Wrong.
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >>>>> can anybody tell me methode to create my own pgp signature?
23 >>>
24 >>> That's the question.
27 >> Was the answer Ralph gave not correct? I don't understand what
28 >> you're trying to say...
31 >>> Alexander Skwar
32 >>>
33 >>> Posting out-of-order makes it easy to follow context.
36 > Alexander may have been complaining about the top-posting,
37
38 Yep.
39
40 > or maybe the
41 > OP was not completely clear in the question,
42
43 Hm, possible as well, yes.
44
45 > or maybe Ralph
46 > misunderstood the difference between a /key pair/ and a /signature/:
47
48 That's what I assumed.
49
50 > Commands:
51 >
52 > ==> -s, --sign [file] make a signature
53
54 Yep. As I said - see the last line of my mail before the
55 mailinglist signature :) I don't think that it is helpful to
56 read man pages or help output to people.
57
58 > So if the question really does relate to creating a signature, Ralph was
59 > wrong. If the question was wrong, and a key pair needs to be generated
60 > in order to sign something, then Ralph was right.
61
62 Yes.
63
64 > However, other than pointing this out by the simple expedient of
65 > confusing everyone further, Alexander's reply was less than helpful,
66 > since it neither pointed out why the answer given was presumably not
67 > correct,
68
69 Uhm. Yes, I did not point that out. Why and how should I? OP
70 asked, how a signature can be created. That's a clear question.
71 I don't know how to explain, why --gen-key is the wrong answer.
72 It's just so plain totally wrong, that I just don't know how
73 to explain it.
74
75 > or provided a correct answer if the answer given was in fact
76 > not correct.
77
78 Oh, I did not? What about the "-s"? How's that not the "sign command"?
79
80 > .... but everybody could just read the man page and work it out for
81 > themselves, of course :) .
82
83 Or the help output. I wrote "gpg --help | grep 'make a'" which will,
84 among other things, return "-s". But that's not correct?
85
86 Alexander Skwar
87 --
88 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list