From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:28:40
1 Alexander Skwar schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick schrieb:
3 >
4 >> However, other than pointing this out by the simple expedient of
5 >> confusing everyone further, Alexander's reply was less than
6 >> helpful, since it neither pointed out why the answer given was
7 >> presumably not correct,
10 > Uhm. Yes, I did not point that out. Why and how should I? OP asked,
11 > how a signature can be created. That's a clear question. I don't know
12 > how to explain, why --gen-key is the wrong answer. It's just so plain
13 > totally wrong, that I just don't know how to explain it.
14
15 Well, if someone asks how to create a signature, and someone else
16 answers how to provide a key pair, clearly someone is confused as to the
17 fact that a signature is not a key pair. Saying so explicitly (i.e.,
18 "this will generate a key pair, not a signature, and they are not the
19 same thing"), seems to be to be a simple way of saying why the answer is
20 wrong.
21
22 But that's just me and my conviction that people can't learn what you
23 don't tell 'em (with the corollary assumption that people ask questions
24 because they want to learn/know/understand something).
27 >> or provided a correct answer if the answer given was in fact not
28 >> correct.
29 >
30 > Oh, I did not? What about the "-s"? How's that not the "sign
31 > command"?
34 Sorry, Alexander-- I missed the *second* mail in which you did this.
35
36 In the mail quoted by Jason (the first mail), you were distinctly
37 obscure :-) , and that's the one I was referring to.
38
39 My mistake.
40
41 Holly