From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM (Was: the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?))
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:21:30
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thu, March 24, 2011 12:30 pm, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Thursday 24 March 2011 08:49:52 J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Wed, March 23, 2011 5:43 pm, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> md raid devices can do barriers. Don't know about lvm. But lvm is such
9 >>>>
10 >>> a
11 >>>
12 >>>> can
13 >>>> of worms I am surprised people still recommend it.
14 >>>>
15 >>> What is wrong with LVM?
16 >>> I've been using it successfully without any issues for years now.
17 >>> It does what it says on the box.
18 >>>
19 >> it is another layer that can go wrong. Why take the risk? There
20 >> are enough cases of breakage after upgrades - and besides snapshots... is
21 >> the
22 >> amount of additional code running really worth it? Especially with bind
23 >> mounting?
24 >>
25 > There are always things that can go wrong and I agree, adding additional
26 > layers can increase the risk.
27 > However, the benefits of easily and quickly changing the size of
28 > partitions and creating snapshots for the use of backups are a big enough
29 > benefit to off-set the risk.
30 >
31 > Bind-mounting is ok, if you use a single filesystem for everything. I have
32 > partitions that are filled with thousands of small files and partitions
33 > filled with files are are, on average, at 1GB in size.
34 > I haven't found a filesystem yet that successfully handles both of these
35 > with identical performance.
36 > When I first tested performance I found that a simple "ls" in a partition
37 > would appear to just hang. This caused performance issues with my
38 > IMAP-server.
39 > I switched to a filesystem that better handles large amounts of small
40 > files and performance increased significantly.
41 >
42 > The way I do backups is that I stop the services, create snapshots and
43 > then restart the services.
44 > I then have plenty of time to backup the snapshot.
45 > If I were to do this differently, I'd end up having a downtime for over an
46 > hour just for a backup.
47 > Now, it's barely a minute of downtime.
48 >
49 > That, to me, is a very big bonus.
50 >
51 > --
52 > Joost
56 I have never used LVM but when it messes up after a upgrade, as has
57 happened to many others, see if you say the same thing. I hope your
58 backups are good and they can restore.
59
60 Dale
61