From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternate mta's
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 23:46:54
1 on 05/05/2013 01:15 AM Tanstaafl wrote the following:
2 > On 2013-05-04 6:01 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> I have both postfix and mailx. You'll notice that the category of
4 >> mailx is
5 >> mail-client and not mail-mta (or "net-mail", as you wrote).
6 >> mail-client/mailx is
7 >> simply a command line email client used for automating the sending and
8 >> receiving of emails; on my system it is as far as I can tell only used by
9 >> smartmontools.
10 >>
11 >> Unless msmtp also provides {,/usr}/bin/mail there isn't really an
12 >> issue here.
13 >
14 > Oh... ok, well, now I'm just wondering why it decided to install it all
15 > of a sudden...
16 >
17 > <shrug>
18 >
19 > Thanks
23 mail-client/mailx : The /bin/mail program, which is used to send mail
24 via shell scripts
25
26 mail-mta/ssmtp: Extremely simple MTA to get mail off the system to a Mailhub
27
28 They are totally different and not alternate of each other.