From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Index to /usr/share/doc/...html... a reinvented wheel?
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 16:36:19
1 On 7/4/07, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:19:14 -0700
4 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
5 >
6 > > I emerge with the doc USE flag and generally have a bunch of stuff in
7 > > /usr/share/doc. Most of the time it's the HTML stuff I want to read,
8 > > but it's a annoyingly laborious to wade through unindexed
9 > > directgories and get a browser pointing to the right thing. So I
10 > > wrote a little Perl script to create a top-level "index.html",
11 > > organized by package and with a bit of rudimentary pruning. I
12 > > bookmarked it in Firefox, and can get to things a lot faster now. I
13 > > like the result, and will continue to tweak it here and there.
14 > >
15 > > Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to
16 > > make this part of gentoo? If so, how would one do that?
17 > >
18 > > Current script attached.
19 > >
20 > > --
21 > > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
22 >
23 > Hi Kevin,
24 >
25 > After saving your script to /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl
26 > and running "chmod +x ...", I pointed firefox at
27 > http://localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl and got the following:
28 >
29 > Internal Server Error
30 >
31 > The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
32 > was unable to complete your request.
33 >
34 > Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform
35 > them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
36 > done that may have caused the error.
37 >
38 > More information about this error may be available in the server
39 > error log.
40 >
41 > Looking in /var/log/apache2/error_log I found
42 >
43 > [Wed Jul 04 10:22:06 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] malformed
44 > header from script. Bad header=<head><title>Index of /usr/sha:
45 > makeindex.perl
48 > Looking at other simple scripts lead me to add
49 >
50 > print "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n\n";
51 >
52 > All is good now!
53 >
54 > Cheers,
55 >
56 > David
57 > --
58 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
61 Hmm. I never intended to run it that way. I run a cronjob as root, with
62 output directed to "index.html". I'd worry that your way would be too slow.
65 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD