From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Index to /usr/share/doc/...html... a reinvented wheel?
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 14:36:50
1 On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:19:14 -0700
2 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3
4 > I emerge with the doc USE flag and generally have a bunch of stuff in
5 > /usr/share/doc. Most of the time it's the HTML stuff I want to read,
6 > but it's a annoyingly laborious to wade through unindexed
7 > directgories and get a browser pointing to the right thing. So I
8 > wrote a little Perl script to create a top-level "index.html",
9 > organized by package and with a bit of rudimentary pruning. I
10 > bookmarked it in Firefox, and can get to things a lot faster now. I
11 > like the result, and will continue to tweak it here and there.
12 >
13 > Did I just reinvent a wheel? If not, is there any point it trying to
14 > make this part of gentoo? If so, how would one do that?
15 >
16 > Current script attached.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
20
21 Hi Kevin,
22
23 After saving your script to /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl
24 and running "chmod +x ...", I pointed firefox at
25 http://localhost/cgi-bin/makeindex.perl and got the following:
26
27 Internal Server Error
28
29 The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
30 was unable to complete your request.
31
32 Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform
33 them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
34 done that may have caused the error.
35
36 More information about this error may be available in the server
37 error log.
38
39 Looking in /var/log/apache2/error_log I found
40
41 [Wed Jul 04 10:22:06 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] malformed
42 header from script. Bad header=<head><title>Index of /usr/sha:
43 makeindex.perl
46 Looking at other simple scripts lead me to add
47
48 print "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n\n";
49
50 All is good now!
51
52 Cheers,