From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix receives OK, but won't send to internet
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:28:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > Unfortunately, quite a lot seem to do it. it's a lazy and lame "solution"
3 > to spam trojans. Other ISPs forward all port 25 connections to their own
4 > SMTP server, so your mail may not be delivered directly, but it is
5 > delivered.
6 >
7 > Even if port 25 isn't blocked or redirected, it is often worth using your
8 > ISP's relay even if you have a broadband connection. Some ISP's block
9 > incoming mail from IP ranges allocated to broadband users as an anti-spam
10 > measure.
11
12 I worked at probably the first nation wide US ISP to block port 25 to
13 any address other than our mail servers. While it was sad to see the
14 days of free and clear access to smtp dying there really wasn't much
15 choice. Blocking outbound port 25 access did a fine job of stopping
16 virus email that uses it's own stmp and spam hosts. While annoying to
17 some users I don't think it's something you can really get around these
18 days. Especially if you'd like to keep your IP space off trigger happy
19 blacklists.
20
21 However the above when implemented with port 25 inbound blocking sucks.
22 We never did that. And I've seen ISP's require their domain in the From:
23 line which breaks anyone's attempt at sending using their personal
24 domain. We didn't do retarded things like that either.
25
26 kashani
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list