From: "Aleksandar L. Dimitrov" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems starting X
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:31:25
1 On Sat, 12 May 2007 11:34:39 -0400
2 "Francisco Rivas" <taken2k4@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi friends, Johannes bro.. I can't give up with that, I know we can
5 > solve your problem, I feel it :D
8 Watch out, or you'll end up as a case for the Scary Devil Monastery.
9 I've probably already reached this point. :)
10
11 > The most important thing is try, one more try and it's enough..
12 >
13 > Uninstall the xserver, unistall the ati drivers
14 > check all configurations of your kernel..
15 > Install xserver 7.1 and 8.36.5 ati driver manually.. run aticonfig
16 > --initial
19 The Xorg-Server version 1.3 is still in the testing branch, so you
20 might do better with the following command:
21
22 VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" emerge -va =x11-base/xorg-server-1.2.0-r3
23
24 Then follow the already given instructions, i.e. install the version of
25 the driver ATI recommends
26
27 emerge -C ati-drivers && emerge -va =x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.28.8
28
29 and then remove your xorg.conf. Not remove of course, but just rename
30 it to a backup file. Then go on with ati-config --initial. It could
31 mourn about a missing X.conf, but I think it should really make one up,
32 no matter if there's already one or not. Running ati-config --initial
33 on any unclean xorg.conf could really make a mess out of it anyways
34 (multiple Server/Device/Monitor entries... that can be quite a nuisance
35 to get rid of!).
36
37 If you need any OpenGL-stuff (quite a chance you do...) this can be
38 discussed later on. Let's first get it to work at all :)
39
40 Regards, Aleks
41
42 PS: that's like the standard ritual for being accepted as someone
43 familiar with the basics of Linux: going to xorg.conf hell... once you
44 get used to it, it's easy. If you experience any trouble you could as
45 well just post it here, so we can have a look at it.
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list