From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 09:35:04
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I do exactly that: transfering files from Gentoo to Windows and back.
5 >> And if anybody else would try to read the USB stick they would only find
6 >> white noise on it.
7 >>
8 >> Sincerely,
9 >> Rainer
12 > Thank you.  That is MOST helpful.  I want to document some things and
13 > leave it behind, after I'm dead and gone, but I want a certain person to
14 > be able to access it.  They will have the password.  Thing is, until
15 > then, I don't want anyone to be able to see it or anything. This will
16 > work very nicely.
17 >
18 > Off to youtube to see this thing in action.  ;-)
19 >
20 > Dale
21 >
22 > :-)  :-)
25 I wanted to post a couple things for future reference. First, it seems
26 this thing requires sudo to work.  Add the executable to the sudo file
27 thingy.  It does ask for a root password, to mount the USB stick I
28 guess.  I don't care much for sudo so it took me a while, and google, to
29 figure out how to fix that.  To save someone else some grief:
32 root@fireball / # cat /etc/sudoers | grep crypt
33 %wheel ALL = (root) NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/veracrypt
34 root@fireball / #
37 It still asks for the password but who cares anyway.  It works.  :-)
38
39 I also don't have encryption built into my kernel.  Obviously veracrypt
40 can't encrypt without that unless you change it to software encryption.
41 Go to Settings, Preferences and then select the tab System Integration.
42 At the bottom, tick the Do not use cryptographic services under Kernel
43 Services.  It says it makes it slower so be ready for that.  I am not
44 able to compare since I don't have the kernel part included, yet.  I'll
45 have to figure that out next. Wish me luck.  lol
46
47 The next thing I noticed.  I wanted this to work on windoze as well, I
48 chose vfat or whatever.  Here's the downside of that.  You can't use
49 some symbols in file names.  I found out the colon, ":", is a no no.  I
50 suspect there is more.  I don't use vfat for much so I don't have a lot
51 of knowledge on those but I suspect some of you will, even if you wish
52 you didn't have to know.  :/
53
54 William, if you can get it installed on your system, folks above you
55 would allow it, it is a nifty and quite simple thing to use.  Sorting
56 out the initial kinks took some time but once done, it's done.  The only
57 part I didn't care much for, the part where I had to move the mouse
58 pointer all over the place.  Wrecks havoc on my wrist since it took a
59 while to get that little bar thingy all the way to the end.
60
61 Hope this helps someone else with one or more of these issues.
62
63 Dale
64