From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian forked, because of systemd brouhaha
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 04:35:38
1 On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 22:32:18 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 9:01 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 > > I am already really annoyed that by default
4 > > systemd and apps designed to work with it leave traces on openrc based
5 > > systems.
6 >
7 > You're getting worked up about text files and filenames. I suppose
8 > you'll be really upset that bash completion files are now being
9 > installed by default, and packages install logrotate configs and cron
10 > scripts even if you don't use logrotate or cron.
11
12 We have INSTALL_MASK for such cases. While it should be used with
13 care (as improper use will broke system), INSTALL_MASK="*/systemd/*"
14 keeps my systems clean from this filthy abomination.
15
16 > Sure, we could add a million more layers of conditionals to everything
17 > and you might save a few dozen inodes on your 10GB install, at the
18 > cost of lots of hassle/bugs/etc. In general Gentoo tends to take the
19 > pragmatic approach. If you're a purist of just about any kind you're
20 > going to have to hold your nose. However, this cuts both ways - the
21 > purists who don't want YOU to be able to make the choices YOU want to
22 > make also have to hold their noses. :)
23
24 Best regards,
25 Andrew Savchenko