From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reverse Tethering - How to?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:57:09
1 On Thursday, September 18, 2014 12:41:52 PM Stroller wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 September 2014, at 12:31 pm, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
3 wrote:
4 > >> ...
5 > >> In this case the USB is being used as an ethernet connection - you're
6 > >> simply asking for the routing to occur in the opposite direction.
7 > >
8 > > Helmut is trying to do the opposite.
9 > > He wants the mobile phone to use the internet connection of his desktop.
10 >
11 > That's what I wrote - that he's "simply asking for the routing to occur in
12 > the opposite direction".
13 >
14 > My Android appears to allow networking over its USB connection in both
15 > directions - I attach two screenshots.
16 >
17 > The first attached screenshot is of the "Wireless and networks" menu, which
18 > is accessed directly from "Settings".
19 >
20 > As you can see there is a "Tethering & portable hotspot" submenu (second
21 > attached screenshot), but at the bottom there is also a tickbox "USB
22 > Internet - Sharing Windows PC internet via USB cable".
23 >
24 > If you look also at the second attached screenshot, "Tethering & portable
25 > hotspot", you will see that "USB tethering - USB connected, tick to tether"
26 > is a separate menu item.
27 >
28 > When I initially read your email and glanced at my phone, the "Sharing
29 > Windows PC internet via USB cable" item was greyed out. The words became
30 > solid when I plugged the USB cable in. I have not tested it further, but I
31 > have to assume that these two menu options perform reciprocal functions.
32
33 Which phone is that?
34
35 On my Galaxy S4, that option does not exist. Not even when connected via USB.
38 Joost