From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reverse Tethering - How to?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 11:42:43
1 On Wed, 17 September 2014, at 12:31 pm, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> In this case the USB is being used as an ethernet connection - you're simply
4 >> asking for the routing to occur in the opposite direction.
5 >
6 > Helmut is trying to do the opposite.
7 > He wants the mobile phone to use the internet connection of his desktop.
8
9 That's what I wrote - that he's "simply asking for the routing to occur in the opposite direction".
10
11 My Android appears to allow networking over its USB connection in both directions - I attach two screenshots.
12
13 The first attached screenshot is of the "Wireless and networks" menu, which is accessed directly from "Settings".
14
15 As you can see there is a "Tethering & portable hotspot" submenu (second attached screenshot), but at the bottom there is also a tickbox "USB Internet - Sharing Windows PC internet via USB cable".
16
17 If you look also at the second attached screenshot, "Tethering & portable hotspot", you will see that "USB tethering - USB connected, tick to tether" is a separate menu item.
18
19 When I initially read your email and glanced at my phone, the "Sharing Windows PC internet via USB cable" item was greyed out. The words became solid when I plugged the USB cable in. I have not tested it further, but I have to assume that these two menu options perform reciprocal functions.
20
21 Stroller.

1 - Wireless and networks menu.png image/png
2 - Tethering and portable hotspot menu.png image/png