From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:36:02
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hal Martin wrote:
5 > I installed Gentoo from inside Ubuntu 6.10 (my previous system) through
6 > chroot. This was because I couldn't use a LiveCD as I have an AMD64
7 > based system.
8 >
9 > Knoppix and many other LiveCDs are 32bit, as that is currently what a
10 > majority of computers out there are. So, unless you can point me to a
11 > 64bit LiveCD that isn't some alternate version of a binary distribution
12 > I believe we still need a Gentoo install CD.
13
14 There are in fact quite of few of 64bit LiveCDs. Knoppix64 being one of
15 them.
16
17 A simple Google gives me this:
18 http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php where you can even filter
19 LiveCDs.
22 > Some people's arguments are that we should rely on other LiveCDs to
23 > build a Gentoo system as this will give the devs more time to work on
24 > things that they feel are more important. I would agree with them
25 > normally, but I'd rather download one CD that contains all the stuff I
26 > need than download a Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/Mandriva LiveCD (all of those
27 > distributions provide a 64bit LiveCD) and the stage tarball.
28
29 Even with a LiveCD with a stage tarball on it, you will still need to
30 download additional stuff during the installation, you will still need
31 to sync the portage tree if you want your system to be up-to-date.
32
33 It's almost the same as to downloading a LiveCD and downloading the
34 tarball separately, so I honestly don't think you can save much work by
35 having a stage tarball on a LiveCD.
38 > Sure, if you're on a 32bit system, any LiveCD will work well for
39 > building a Gentoo system. However, if you happen to be one of the
40 > growing number of people who have purchased a 64bit system (such as an
41 > AMD Athlon, Opteron, or an Intel Pentium D (some models), Pentium Dual
42 > core (E21xx series), Core 2 Duo/Quad, or a Xeon system) and want to run
43 > Gentoo 64bit, your install options are suddenly very limited.
44
45 I myself have 3 machines, a Athlon64X2, a Core2 Duo and a Pentium III,
46 I've used Gentoo minimal, Knoppix and Knoppix64 CDs during my
47 installation on these 3 machines and I haven't encounter any problem
48 using any of them, and that's why I said earlier in the thread that
49 LiveCDs really doesn't matter, as long as you can boot, fdisk, mount,
50 chroot, emerge, you are fine :)
51
52 I hope I've provided you with some useful information.
53
54 - -- Joe
57 - --
58 A computer scientist is someone who, when told "go to hell", considers
59 the "go to" harmful rather than the destination.
60
61 GnuPG FP: DE08 57AE A1AD 620C 02AA CCDD 611B 63AC B146 61D9
69 --
70 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list