From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:14:28
1 I installed Gentoo from inside Ubuntu 6.10 (my previous system) through
2 chroot. This was because I couldn't use a LiveCD as I have an AMD64
3 based system.
4
5 Knoppix and many other LiveCDs are 32bit, as that is currently what a
6 majority of computers out there are. So, unless you can point me to a
7 64bit LiveCD that isn't some alternate version of a binary distribution
8 I believe we still need a Gentoo install CD.
9
10 Some people's arguments are that we should rely on other LiveCDs to
11 build a Gentoo system as this will give the devs more time to work on
12 things that they feel are more important. I would agree with them
13 normally, but I'd rather download one CD that contains all the stuff I
14 need than download a Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/Mandriva LiveCD (all of those
15 distributions provide a 64bit LiveCD) and the stage tarball.
16
17 Sure, if you're on a 32bit system, any LiveCD will work well for
18 building a Gentoo system. However, if you happen to be one of the
19 growing number of people who have purchased a 64bit system (such as an
20 AMD Athlon, Opteron, or an Intel Pentium D (some models), Pentium Dual
21 core (E21xx series), Core 2 Duo/Quad, or a Xeon system) and want to run
22 Gentoo 64bit, your install options are suddenly very limited.
23
24 Just my two cents.
25
26 -Hal Martin
29 Michael Schmarck wrote:
30 > · Norman Rieß <norman@×××××××××.org>:
33 >> Right, basicly telling people "You have to depend on / use other distros
34 >> to install our OS, cause we are not able to / don´t have time to provide
35 >> this" sounds a little fishy. It makes Gentoo look incomplete.
38 > Well, but providing outdated (ie. non-usable for new systems) install
39 > medium is also very bad. And if the installer doesn't work (satisfactory),
40 > then that gives an even worse impression.
41 >
42 > Michael Schmarck
46 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list