From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo gets as bad SuSE: Circular dependencies [WAS: Thank you Gentoo devs]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:04:44
1 On Wed, 16 May 2007 16:23:13 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > Thank you for producing lots of circular dependencies
4 > (ie. in the Xserver), which make maintenance complicated.
5
6 Lots? If you'd posted this yesterday, I would have been able to recall
7 the last time I was hit with one.
8
9 > Great, great thanks to the devs for forcing me to maintain my
10 > own overlay to clean up the crap. (anyone who's interested in
11 > it, please give a note).
12
13 I did get a circular dependency today, sdl and directfb and guess what?
14 The error message also contained the solution, which was to temporarily
15 change a USE flag.
16
17 The great thing about free software is that it all comes with a full
18 money back guarantee. So before you start shooting your mouth off when
19 something produced by volunteers in their own time fails to work for you,
20 stop and remember how much you paid for it and why.
21
22 Since you are clearly able to solve a problem that comes fro upstream
23 and which the combined might of SUSE and Gentoo has failed to do, why
24 not offer to help instead of posting sarcastic rants to a user support
25 list? $DEITY forbid, you could even file a bug describing the problem and
26 providing your solution.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 We are upping our standards - so up yours.