From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transfer OLD HD content to new HD
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:21:30
1 On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 22:40 -0600, Joseph wrote:
2 > What is the best way to transfer content of an old HD to a new one
3 > bigger one?
4
5 what are you transferring the win98 stuff to? win98, windows-other,
6 gentoo?
7
8 in any case, make the new hd your primary one (primary master), and the
9 old one secondary (primary slave or secondary master). The boot to your
10 new hd, mount your old hd, and copy!
11
12 > I do not subscribe to software vendor program as I intent to move the
13 > whole system to Linux (if I find a suitable dental program as I'm
14 > hostage of this program) so if I reinstall the program from the CD
15 > those
16 > changes will be gone.
17
18 However, if you _don't_ reinstall from CD, you may miss some essential
19 registry settings and other stuff that windows puts all over the place.
20 I'd recommend reinstalling from CD, then copying your old contents over
21 the newly installed one.
22
23 Lastly, what does the program do? My wife is a Dental Assistant, and
24 I've been trying to convince her boss to switch to a computer based
25 appointment and record system, but he doesn't want to spend any money...
26
27 cya,
31 Dogs just don't seem to be able to tell the difference between important people
32 and the rest of us.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list