From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/shadow
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:31:04
1 On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:19:12 +0200
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 12/03/12 20:05, Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
5 > > These virtual apps are irritating me, and the fanboi answers in
6 > > #gentoo are worse.
7 > >
8 > > What is the purpose of virtual/shadow and why would I want it?
9 >
10 > Paul's answers covers it, but I'll give an explanation that is the
11 > reverse of a fanboi answer.
12 >
13 > The reason we need virtuals is because of a shortcoming in portage:
14 > lack of "provides" functionality. RPM packages can tell the package
15 > manager what they provide. For example, RPMs for libav and ffmpeg
16 > can both use "ffmpeg" as their "provides" field. Portage can't do
17 > that, so it needs a new "virtual/ffmpeg" package instead.
21 Anyone care to offer an opinion on what it will take to get PROVIDES
22 support in portage?
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com