From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 21:07:39
1 On 2011-05-29 8:28 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > so - why don't you get a router that ONLY does the routing and a nice
3 > good switch where you can tag the vlans?
4
5 Money/knowledge level? I don't know how to do it, so I was looking for
6 something that will work that I can do myself, that is affordable.
7
8 > Because if someone takes over your router it does not matter that you
9 > have different vlans, they can access everything.
10
11 And the same would apply if they got access to the switch too, right? ;)
12
13 > But if the router is on a different vlan than the internal network,
14 > they have to take over the switch - which will be in a vlan
15 > inaccessible from any active device - to get into the other vlans.
18 If this is something that can be done with not a lot of money/expertise,
19 can you point me to some How-To that walk me through it?
20
21 Thanks...