From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Having trouble installing grub on second disk
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:42:22
1 Hello,
2
3 I wonder if some wise person here can give me some suggestion on how to
4 solve this problem.
5
6 I have Gentoo (2005.0) installed on my master primary device, and I
7 am trying to create a minimal Linux system on a new disk, my slave
8 primary device.
9
10 So, I partition and make a 32M ext2 file system, make the appropriate
11 directories and devices, install busybox and other odds and ends. Then I
12 copy over the kernel from my Gentoo system (same hardware, so the same
13 kernel).
14
15 Finally I install grub on the slave primary device, and set up my
16 grub.conf like so:
17
18 default 0
19 timeout 10
20
21 title=minimal linux on slave primary device
22 root (hd1,0)
23 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
24
25 root (hd1,0) should be the first partition on my slave primary device
26
27 /boot/vmlinuz is indeed my kernel (I didn't bother with a separate
28 boot partition )
29
30 finally root=/dev/hdb1 tells grub that the root is on the first
31 partition of my slave primary device
32
33 I test by rebooting and entering my bios settings, and then i set the
34 boot device to hd1 instead of hd0. Save and exit, and grub tells me
35 "Error 15: File not found".
36
37 It doesn't tell me which file isn't found, but I've learned that this
38 usually means the kernel. So I double and triple check the spelling and
39 the location. It's right, unless I'm going blind.
40
41 As an experiment, I added these lines to grub.conf on hda, so that I
42 could use grub on hda but boot from my kernel and root on hdb:
43
44 title=minimal linux on slave primary device
45 root (hd1,0)
46 kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
47
48 this worked, which perhaps suggests that my grub setup on hdb is faulty.
49 So I reinstalled grub on hdb, but it still fails with the same error.
50
51 Lastly the grub install reported no errors.
52
53 Any suggestions?
54
55 Sincerely,