From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:49:01
1 On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 11 February 2010 13:50:54 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 01:31:26AM +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
4 > >
5 > > > On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Roy Wright wrote:
6 > > > > IMO, mandatory semantic-desktop is a very good reason to find another
7 > > > > desktop manager (even after being my primary desktop for 7 years).
8 > > >
9 > > > yeah good luck with that. Because gnome is moving in that direction
10 > > > too.
11 > > >
12 > > There are other desktops besides GNOME and KDE. Actually I prefer the
13 > >
14 > > ICEWM window manager. I was running a 1999 Dell 450mhz PIII with 128
15 > > megs of *SYSTEM* ram until the summer of 2007. Let's just say that
16 > > GNOME and KDE were out of the question for me. On my current desktop,
17 > > ICEWM flies. But I also have a netbook, and again GNOME and KDE are not
18 > > usable.
19 > >
20 > > > Seriously guys, you start sounding like luddites. Is new, must be bad.
21 > > >
22 > > Correction, is fat, bloated, and slow, must be bad. I wonder if
23 > >
24 > > Microsoft's anti-linux strategy is to have its agents infiltrate the
25 > > linux developer community, and turn linux into bloatware.
26 >
27 > You have been corrected on this point so many times I now think you are
28 > just a stupid ass.
29 >
30 > It is not slow.
31 >
32 > You are the only one saying that. People who do use Nepomuk say that it is
33 > not slow and does not hog resources (initial scan excepted).
34
35 you can even tell nepomuk how much memory it is allowed to use ...